Friday, April 22, 2011

Jumpstarting the game (or so it is hoped)

After the longest time, I hope I'm on my way to starting up a game with some semblance of regularity. I was supposed to run a Mutant Future session this afternoon but practically all of my players bugged out. I guess I'll be putting the time to good use by reading up on some inspirational material and more solid prep.

I don't know if Roger Zelazny's Damnation Alley qualifies as inspirational material. I'm enjoying it though. I can't believe I have not read this book a long time ago. I remember watching the movie as a kid but I guess the special effects tech of the 70s would have been pathetically Insufficient if they decided to run the movie straight by the book.

As to solid prep, I have reams and reams of hex paper here and pages of notes. Last week's extended stay in the beach left me a lot of time to just muse about the setting of my MF game this time around. I'm leaning towards a world feeling more like the post-disaster kingdoms from Moorcock's Hawkmoon novels, than Kirby's after-diasater Kamandi.

I'll let the ideas stew a bit more and see what happens.

As an aside, anyone know a source of downloadable hex paper with individually numbered hexes?

6 comments:

  1. Hey Spielmeister! I've missed your posts!
    Best of luck getting your game going again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spielmeister! Good to see you posting once more! I'll be interested in your efforts in the area.

    They are, afterall, very mine-able for Fading Suns Lost Worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I may suggest a link: http://www.cartographersguild.com/content.php?149-Winner-of-the-Feb-March-Lite-Challenge

    This is, of course, a fantasified version of Monterey, CA. Note the bottom right area where it says Mutant Stronghold though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.nomic.net/~uckelman/mkhexgrid/


    or

    http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
    (but not numbered)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill,

    I've resolved to post more, game more and keep in touch with people who matter. Life's too short to do otherwise. Cheers good buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ka-blog and Malakor,

    Thanks so much for your help on this one. Makes my 'work' much easier and fun. I really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete