One of the things that really attracted me (and continues to do so) to Mutant Future are the mutations. I adore tables and tables of mutations of all kinds. I guess character generation of mutants becomes a sort of 'game within a game' for me much like the character generation procedure was in the old classic Traveller rules.
I remember Jeff Rients' blogpost wherein I read of his experience in cobbling up pages and pages of mutations from all sorts of related games in his Mutant Future game thus allowing really off-the-wall mutants for his players. Jeff had a subtable connected to other mutation tables which empowered his players to come up with something even more than the original choices in the Mutant Future rules as written.
Needless to say this really captured my imagination as I firmly believe that you can't have too many random choices for your mutants (random choice being one of the strengths of the game in Mutant Future).
Doing the same thing with my available gaming materials, I drew up a list of possible sources for lists of mutational powers I plan to add to the existing ones in my ongoing game. These include the following:
1. Creatures of the Wasteland by Derek Holland and the Skirmisher Game Development Group
2. Gamma World rules, 1st edition
3. Metamorphosis Alpha rules, 1st edition
4. Assorted codices from the Warhammer 40k 3rd edition (including Witchunters, Daemonhunters, Marines and Imperial Guard) - for pysker powers
5. Fading Suns d20 Character Codex (mutations for the Changed, including such nasties like Caustic Puke)
6. Classic Traveller Book 3 (psionics)
7. Material from Warhammer's Slaves to Darkness
8. The Dead Earth player's book which literally has hundreds of mutations (which are quaintly termed as 'radiations')
9. Omegaworld by Jonathan Tweet, which appeared on Polyhedron Magazine issue 153
10. Dungeons and Dragons 1st edition Players Handbook (the appendix that deals with psionics)
I know this list is not exhaustive yet, but I've a feeling that with these additional choices of mutations, my upcoming games are going to be even more intersting in the coming days. I expect the mutants, both player generated and npc-ed to be even more wild, unpredictable and far out.
And who knows, maybe even more deadly as well.
Some Folks Have Been Working...
4 hours ago