Wednesday, November 25, 2009

So what is this all about anyway?

This blog is intended to be a chronicle of my ongoing Mutant Future game. It is also intended to be an account of my return to Old School Gaming.

I called it Under A Blood Red Sky after an album of the Irish Rock Band U2 which came out sometime when I was attending undergraduate university. My game is set in a post-apocalyptic world where humanity is on the way to becoming an endangered species. The ruins of a once-powerful and thriving civilizations dot the fractured landscape of a colony planet once identified in the starmaps as Cygnet Delta. Over all of this, a fading red star shines its light much like Urth’s dying sun in Gene Wolfe’s Book of the New Sun.

Mutant Future is published by Goblinoid Games and is available as a free pdf in that company’s website. That said, it is an excellent example of a solid game system pattered after the 1st edition Dungeons and Dragons and Gamma World rules of the late 1970s and early 80s. I’ve always wanted to run a rubber science-science fantasy game before I quit this life and finally took the plunge after happily discovering Mutant Future. So far, what purports to be my regular gaming group is on its fourth episode of Mutant Future and all indications point to a relatively long-lasting game in the coming days. Much of this comes as a relief to my most valued players who have had to suffer repeatedly from my bouts of game master- attention deficit disorder (GM-ADD).

In here, I also hope to set down the various house rules I plugged into our game. I also hope to do write-ups of the game’s background as well as a lot of Mutant Future-related material.

No comments:

Post a Comment